I discovered this dessert much too late considering how delicious it is. Pavlovas are great in the summer allowing you to place an abundance of fruits on a bed of meringue and whipping cream. These are very simple and quick to make but must bake for 90 minutes. They are very impressive at the finish and are always completely consumed by guests.
Servings: Dessert for 4 (doubles nicely – reduce the sugar)
Preparation: 20 minutes (total)
Cooking: 85 minutes @ 135°C (275°F)
- 4 egg whites
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup of sugar (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar (15 ml)
- 1.5 cups of whipping cream (375 ml)
- 3 cups of fruit
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff.
- Add sugar one tablespoon at a time while beating well.
- Add vinegar.
- Cover a large cooking tray and edges with parchment paper. This will significantly speed up the removal and keep the meringue from breaking.
- Spread the meringue mixture onto the cooking tray so that you have a uniform thickness of about 1-2 cm.
- Place in heated oven for 85 minutes.
- Remove from oven, separate from parchment paper and let the meringue cool. It only takes a minute.
- Cut the large meringue sheet into two equal rectangles.
- The following should be done immediately before serving or the meringue will become soft.
- Whip the whipping cream and vanilla.
- Place one meringue piece on a serving tray and cover with 1/3 of the whipping cream mixture. Add half the berries and another 1/3 of whipping cream. Place the second meringue piece above.
- Cover the top meringue layer with the remaining third of the whipping cream and place the remaining berries nicely on top.
I’ve done this with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and peaches – any other soft fruit would be fine.